Thursday, February 9, 2012

Buttercloud Bakery.. The name says it all!

Hmmm.. Where to start. After a two hour session at the gym Sunday morning. Lifting, stretching, and more downward dogs than one really wants to imagine. It was time to load up on some good, wholesome food.

Being as it was a Sunday, most of the usual go to places were not open. After driving around in a sweaty, starving stupor we came upon Buttercloud Bakery and Cafe. Having just burned three days worth of calories, and seeing the sign proclaiming "sandwiches", we headed inside.

The first thing I noticed was an enormous Orange Pecan Sticky Bun placed smack dab in the middle of the counter, right at eye level, for all the world (and two starving wanna be yoga experts) to see. Follow that up by a pastry case full of tarts, scones, Coco-Nib brownies, and cookies, we knew instantly we were facing a temptation much to great for our weak wills, and growling tummies.

After taking a second to compose ourselves, we turned our eyes to the menu, desperately seeking sandwiches. We found them! All of them served on a large, fluffy, melt in your mouth, soft buttermilk biscuit!!!!!!!!!!!!! Along with biscuits and gravy, braised collard greens, Smokey Mac n Cheese. HELP!!! Need I say more? After ten minutes of debate and a little help from Gibson, the very gracious owner, we made our choices.

 I ordered the Beef and Blue: Beef brisket, housemade tomato chile jam, Rogue Creamery Smokey Blue Cheese. (we all know by now that I am a creature of habit :), I won't say it was horrible. How can something hot, covered in Rogue Creamery Smokey Blue Cheese, and surrounded by an enormous Buttermilk biscuit be "horrible"? But.. I did think it needed just a tad more "kick" to it, sadly. I felt it was good, yet somewhat boring to my palate.

My friend ordered the Chipoltle Pulled Pork: Pulled pork with housemade chipotle-porter bbq sauce. I had a small bite, again, not horrible. However, it also seemed to be lacking some vigor. Maybe a little more of that chipoltle-porter bbq sauce?  We both vowed to omit the biscuits and only eat the meat. Honorable, yet laughable, both our plates were wiped clean. Biscuits and all.

Buttercloud offers an array of delightful beverages, including, Dark Secret Hot ChocolateHousemade orange-infused, dark chocolate,  French Press Coffee featuring Evans Valley Roasting Coffee,  and a "rotating selection of local wine and craft beer". We decided to keep it healthy and opt for water. (again, laughable)

As we grabbed our jars of self served ice water, (an attribute I actually love about this place) and made our way to a lovely corner table, Gibson, towel in hand, hurried behind to make sure the seat was to our liking. I very much appreciated that. All to often we step into a cafe or restaurant and get thrown into the first available "spot" that comes with a reminder of the previous occupants meal. ( usually large chain places. I should point that out). That kind of "turn em and burn em" treatment seems to be the least concern here at Buttercloud Bakery. -Very good service :)

Ok, I've given my opinion on the good and the bad here at Buttercloud Bakery and Cafe, although I don't really think there is much of anything "BAD" at all. I enjoyed my visit to Buttercloud, my guest and I were treated well, and served quality food that was served hot. The other patrons eating there had smiles on their faces, and large plates of various foods on their tables. All the signs of a great place to be!

As you're driving down Jackson, stop on in and grab a French Press, or a Biscuit Sandwich or a Delectable Pastry (They were voted for having the "Best Pastries" in Southern Oregon Magazines Winter 2012 addition)



Buttercloud Bakery and Cafe.
310 Genessee St.
Medford, OR 97504

www.buttercloudbakery.com





No comments:

Post a Comment